Sunday, February 3, 2013

The AVIATOR

My wonderful friend built a small wooden biplane and gave it to my son on his first birthday.  When she was done, she wondered aloud to her husband what to name the plane.  Her husbands response...




My son's name is Avi (pronounced: ah-VEE).  So you can see why I think that this is quite possibly the most clever name and design in history.  It is also the cutest little plane I have ever seen.  My friend built it - out of wood and I love it and Avi loves it.  So, it is only natural that for his third birthday we take this plane and create an entire room.

Today, I made a sign.

 

It isn't done yet, but I was too excited to wait to post this!  I will post instructions for how to do it yourself, but you can probably tell it was easy peasy!  The worst part was trying to not inhale as I applied that dark stain on the back panel.  Even outside, the vapors were intense.  I have a total toxic fume headache now.

I was going to add the little plane seen above the "V" on the sign, but decided it was too "babyish".  I think this sign is SO cool, I really hope he keeps it on his wall until he is at least ten, so baby looking planes are not allowed.

I feel torn over the letter colors: do I leave them white, or find a really great color that will stand the test of time against the dark stained wood?? Decisions!!

Another AMAZING addition to the room is definitely this:
A gift from Aunt Sara...a perfect replica of a WWI plane propeller with a clock in it!  Apparently the pilots of those planes used to crash quite a bit, and they would take home the propeller and have a clock mounted inside...so this is quite the gift!!  And it is BEAUTIFUL!


Next up on the Aviator's room project, mommy needs to build....
A full on airplane SHELF.  So rad!!  I have plans sketched up and am excited to figure this one out!  Yay!


Next time I will post the instructions for the sign and also (very exciting!!) how to make a PERFECT template for your cabinet door handles and drawer pulls!

UPDATE...
The sign is DONE!!  Really happy with the final result. Used the beeswax and mineral oil finish and it looks so amazing on here!  Now all I have to do is hang this up in my son's room, where it will hopefully hang until he is 100 years old...







No comments:

Post a Comment